Tuesday, 15 January 2013

I got it

"You're the least needy woman I've ever met. That's awesome! No guy's gonna say "Who's your daddy?" to Robin Scherbatsky; you're your own daddy. And mommy. And weird survivalist uncle who lives in a cabin with a shotgun blaming stuff on the government. And that is what makes you the most amazing, strong, independent woman I've ever banged."

Barney to Robin in the Baby Talk episode of How I Met Your Mother

For a long time people always looked after me.  Seriously.  I got adopted like a kitten and fed and looked after by so many people and then when I was about 21 that stopped.

I'm trying to figure out if people stopped taking care of me, or if I realised I had to take care of myself.  I still can't remember what came first.  I think once you can do it for yourself people stop doing it for you?  I'm not sure but I do feel more capable these days and wonder if I project that (in my scruffy nearly but not quite dropping things on the floor as I go kind of way).

I think that is why when I have to fix myself when things go wrong I sometimes resent it and get annoyed before I then set out to do all the hard work I need to do to get the situation under control but I do get ridiculously angry when I realise a situation is only going to get better if I change it.  Then, if I can, I change it.

I worried that made me somehow weird and then saw the Baby Talk episode of How I Met Your Mother again and realised that it is part of being a woman and not a little girl and that it was okay.

So there you have it - learning through watching TV.  Excellent stuff.

I'm sad to say that more reflective posts like this might be coming up as I look back a little in advance of my 30th birthday.  I'm completely stoked for my thirties though.  I reckon they're going to be all kinds of interesting and fun and challenging and all round ace.

4 comments:

  1. Thirties rule, baby. You're gonna rock it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thirties were good. Forties are even better. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing here is that even if you do have an inner huff, you know you have to fix it yourself. And that is strong knowledge.

    You'll kick arse in your 30s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do think that your 30s are better than your 20s. You just get to be you and you don't sweat the small stuff anymore. The only problem is you'll find yourself going to bed a little bit earlier. ;)

    ps Wish I could make your 30th, but there's that damned ocean in the way.
    pps Yay for learning from TV!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, and always do read them and reply, even if it takes me a couple of days.

Related Posts with Thumbnails